Sunday, February 19, 2017

Pedestrians - The Right of Way Doesn't Mean You Are Right

The other day I was leaving the supermarket in my vehicle.  A woman was waiting to cross from the store to the parking lot where her car was parked.  Being an easy-going, kind, sympathetic, sensitive, caring type, I waved her across.  I felt that it was safer for her to cross when I was blocking traffic for her.  I didn't expect a Nobel prize for my actions, but it was a nice thing to do.



I expected her to cross directly across the lane and then proceed to her vehicle.  Instead, she took a long diagonal path directly to her vehicle, remaining in the vehicle path for some 50 yards or so.

Aside from inconveniencing and delaying Mr. Patience (me), she put herself in harm's way for a greater distance and time than was necessary.   We all know there are many pedestrian-involved accidents in parking lots and this DOPE (doesn't operate properly in the environment) is a good example of why this occurs.
Pedestrian hit in parking lot


I will spell it out for any DOPEs reading.  When you are in a parking lot, cross directly across the traffic in the shortest path possible.  This would be perpendicular though that term may be beyond most DOPE's comprehension.  Once you have crossed the traffic path, proceed on the side of the parking lane to your vehicle.  Do not remain exposed in the path of traffic.  Do not block or impede vehicles.  The additional risk is not worth saving 30 seconds and 30 steps.

If someone is kind enough to let you pass, get out of their way quickly and efficiently.   Pedestrians may have the right of way, but if you get injured, the right of way won't make the pain go away.


No comments:

Post a Comment